2020 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
The Silverado has been a best-selling Chevy truck for years. The Silverado 2500HD works to give you even more capability than the half-ton truck. This vehicle can give you a stellar performance for work and an overall fun driving experience.
What’s new for the 2020 Silverado 2500HD? This vehicle has been completely redesigned for 2020, so there are a lot of new features. The biggest differences are an all-new gasoline engine to replace the old one, a new exterior design, and a new 10-speed transmission to be paired with the diesel engine. This truck also now offers more towing capacity than ever. Check out the details below.
Exterior Style and Trim Options
On the exterior of the 2020 Silverado 2500HD, you have an all-new design. For 2020, the Silverado HD is not sharing the same cargo boxes as the 1500. The DuraBed cargo boxes for the 2500HD are specifically designed for the truck to give you more storage space. However, the cargo box is still built with high-strength roll-formed steel. Your two cargo box options are the standard box at 6 feet 9 inches or the long box at 8 feet. These cargo boxes are made with multi-piece inner panels to increase the usable width of the box. For example. The width increased by 6.7 inches on the standard box for 2020. Overall, the cargo volume increased 14 percent for the standard box and 9.5 percent for the long box.
You also have a few different trim options when it comes to the 2020 Silverado HD. Learn more about the specific features these trims offer you.
- WT – This is your most basic model. On the outside it has a black flow-through grille bar with the Chevrolet name on it.
- Custom – This trim is new for the 2500HD. For 2020, this trim gives you 20-inch wheels and body-color trim.
- LT – With the LT trim, you get a chrome-trimmed vertical grille, 17-inch aluminum wheels, and a grille bar with Chevrolet across it.
- LTZ – On the LTZ, you can get LED daytime running lamps, LED taillights, a bright grille surround, and 18-inch aluminum wheels.
- High Country – The High Country shows its individual style with a distinctive grille that features the Chevy bowtie and a two-tone metallic grille trim.
The trim option you choose depends on the style and capabilities that you are looking for. The new design features and the new trim options for 2020 give you even more options to make this truck your own.
Performance, Engine Options, and Towing Capabilities
There are three choices for Silverado trucks, and they all give you different capabilities. The 2020 Silverado 2500HD is in the middle when it comes to power and towing capacity. The Silverado 1500 is a light-duty truck that can be used for everyday driving as well as some towing and hauling. However, if you are consistently trailering, you might want to look more into the Heavy-Duty Silverado options like the 2500 and 3500. These trucks were built more for hauling heavy loads on a regular basis. The 2500HD has a slightly lower towing capacity than the 3500HD, but it is perfectly capable of hauling work supplies and equipment. Learn more about the specifics of the performance of the 2020 Silverado 2500HD below.
The 2500HD has a couple of engine options so that you can customize the performance of your truck based on your needs. Check out the different engine options for the Silverado 2500HD so that you can determine which is the best option for you.
- 6.6-liter V8 – The base engine for the Silverado 2500HD has been changed for the 2020 year. The previous engine was a 6.0-liter V8, but now you will have a 6.6-liter V8 gasoline engine standard. This 6.6-liter engine gives you 401-horsepower and 464 pound-feet of torque. You also have an upgraded six-speed automatic transmission with this engine. The changes with this engine will give you 22 percent more torque and 18 percent more towing.
- 6.6-liter Turbo-Diesel V8 – Your diesel engine option is the 6.6-liter turbo-diesel V8 engine. This engine is the same as last year, and it gives you 445-horsepower and 910 pound-feet of torque. However, this engine has an all-new transmission for the 2020 model. You now have an Allision 10-speed automatic transmission to pair with your diesel engine option.
With these two great engine options, what does this vehicle have for towing capacity? In the 2020 Silverado 2500HD, you can expect to have a towing capacity of 18,500 pounds, which is a significant increase from the previous year. For payload capacity, you can expect the 2020 Silverado 2500HD to give you a range of 3,565 to 3,900 pounds. This means that your Silverado will be ready to take on the toughest work jobs. The Silverado 1500 only has a towing capacity of 13,400 pounds, so if you are looking for an increase in capability, you want to check out the Silverado 2500HD.
No matter how hard your truck is working for you, you can step into the cabin of the 2500HD and enjoy the quiet. The Silverado 2500HD was built with sound-deadening materials and triple-sealed doors to give you a quieter driving experience. This vehicle also has firm foam seats that give you both comfort and support. You have standard cloth seating, but you can upgrade to leather seats and heated seats if you want.
Passenger capacity in the Silverado 2500 depends on the cab option that you choose. If you choose the regular cab, you have seating for three people on a front bench seat. With the Crew Cab model, you have seating for up to six people. The Crew Cab model is a great option if you will often be carrying other passengers because it has spacious rear seating that is comfortable for adults as well as kids.
This truck works hard, but that doesn’t mean the interior can’t be comfortable and accommodating. The interior of the 2020 Silverado 2500HD is a great place to relax after a long day. This vehicle also offers you some great technology to keep you connected and entertained while you are driving.
The Silverado 2500HD is a hard-working truck, but this vehicle can also help you work smart with technology features worthy of a mobile office. This truck has tech features like steering wheel controls that allow you to take phone calls and manage music and apps. This vehicle also has the Chevrolet Infotainment System with a 7 or 8-inch color touchscreen display to keep you connected. This vehicle also has an available Wi-Fi hotspot and an available wireless charging pad so that you can stay connected to your phone and other technology.
You can also get some incredible towing technology that helps you with even the toughest of jobs. Chevy understands that if you buy a heavy-duty truck, you will probably use it for a lot of towing, so they created some trailering technologies to make your experience easier. Check them out here.
- Trailering Cameras – If you want to keep an eye on your trailer as you are driving, the Silverado 2500HD makes it easy with their trailering cameras, which give you up to 15 unique camera views so that you can see things from every angle. These camera views include bed view transparent trailer view, HD surround vision, and an accessory camera.
- Trailering App – There is also an in-vehicle trailering app that can check electrical diagnostics, trailer tire pressure, and more while you are driving. This app also has a pre-departure checklist to help you make sure you are ready to roll.
- Additional Trailering Features and Technologies – Other features and technologies specific for your trailering ease include Hill Start Assist, Auto Park Brake Assist, enhanced Tow/Haul mode, Trailer Sway Control, Digital Variable Steering Assist, and more. These features can make your trailering experience easier and safer, so be sure to learn more about them.
Whether it is entertainment technology or performance technology, the 2020 Silverado 2500HD has a lot of advanced technology features to offer you.
There are also some great safety features available on the 2020 Silverado 2500HD. Whether you are working or playing, you can benefit from safety features like these.
- Forward Collision Alert – This feature uses a camera to detect if you are in danger of a front-end collision. It will also alert you if you are following a vehicle too closely.
- Lane Departure Warning – Lane departure warning will alert you if you are drifting out of your lane when your turn signal is not on. This can help prevent potential collisions.
- Rear Park Assist – This feature helps you when you are driving in reverse at low speeds because it will sense stationary objects in your path. The rear park assist features will warn you if there is something too close to your vehicle.
You can use these driver assistance safety features to drive smarter in your daily life. These convenient features could be a great addition to your truck.
If you are looking for heavy-duty performance, the 2020 Silverado 2500HD is a great truck to consider. This vehicle gives you performance beyond that of the light-duty Silverado, but you still get some similar comfort and convenience features. The Silverado 2500HD could really elevate your workday and your towing experience.